Buddhist Images of Kannon-do Hall Together after 20 Years"Fudo Myo-ou" Special Exhibition at Byodo-in Temple
A special exhibition, "Fudo Myo-ou: The Deity who Watched Over the Turbulent Periods," featuring the Kannon-do Hall of Byodo-in Temple, Uji, Uji City, Kyoto Prefecture, and the beliefs of Fudo, started on April 13 at Hoshokan Museum in the temple's precincts. A total of 20 items, particularly the recently repaired statues of the Fudo triad, are on display.
Kannon-do Hall, an Important Cultural Property and built in the first half of the Kamakura Period, was temporarily closed to the public in 2014 due to deterioration. The statues of the Fudo triad, designated an Uji City Cultural Property, were repaired the following year. During the process, notes in India ink were discovered on the protruding parts connecting the foundation and the statutes of two Doji, who are in attendance on Acala. It was established that Ukyo Yoshino, the most preeminent sculptor of Buddhist statues in Kyoto of that age, made these statues in 1646.
Ukyo was a sculptor of Buddhist statues, who also left some works at Shokoku-ji Temple, in Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto, and Ryoan-ji Temple, in Ukyo Ward.
Also displayed are the painted doors "Kannon-do Zushi Tobirae," which depict "Jikokuten" and "Tamonten" in full color and three dimensions, the statue of the Fudo triad located at Fudo-do of Saisho-in, and "Oban Kozu," or large antique maps, which have been handed down at Saisho-in and Jodo-in.
The standing statue "Juichi-men Kannon Ryuzo," an Important Cultural Property, which is the principal image of Kannon-do Hall and was repaired in 1999, is on permanent exhibition in Hoshokan Museum. Monsho Kamii, the chief priest, said, "It is significant that Buddhist images owned by Kannon-do Hall have been gathered together for the first time in 20 years." The exhibition will last until June 29. There is an admission fee. Some exhibits will be rotated from May 16.(Translated by Mie Hiuzon, Psyche et l’Amour, Inc.)