Profoundness of Original MuralsCommemorative Exhibition at Nijo Castle12 July 2013 - Sightseeing/Events
The special exhibition, "First Exhibit of Original Murals of Shikidai -Shikidai-no-ma" began on July 12, at the Nijo Castle 400th Anniversary Gallery, Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto. The exhibition commemorates the completion of the replacement murals of the "Shikidai," or reception room, at Ninomaru Palace, Nijo Castle.
Since 1972, Nijo Castle has been engaged in a project of replacing the murals of Ninomaru Palace with reproductions in order to permanently preserve the originals, which were painted by the Kano School during the Kanei Period from 1624-1645. The replacement for the reception room was completed last year, and the originals are arranged in a way that re-creates the reception room.
There are a total of 31 murals which include paintings of magnificent pines, as well as paintings of flowers and birds, such as gentians and ducks. Visitors raptly viewed the grandiose murals.
The exhibition lasts till September 16. It will be closed some days during that period. The admission fee is 100 yen in addition to the entrance fee for the castle.(translated by Galileo, Inc.)